Friday, April 10, 2009

Good Friday

Blessed Good Friday to you.

This will be a light posting day -- actually it's been a light posting week.

There are Stations of the Cross today at 3 p.m., the Hour of Mercy when Christ our Redeemer, perfect priest and victim, surrendered His life for us at Calvary.

Then my family and I will attend the Good Friday service tonight, which is at least a couple of hours in length.

Non-Catholic friends often ask me why I put up with so many lengthy services during Holy Week. I guess you have to experience it to understand. I don't want to miss a moment.

Then tomorrow night, at the Easter Vigil, I will be singing with our tiny little choir, augmented for the occasion with a couple of my kids who are back home for this holiest of days. It should be interesting, as I am singing, in plainsong, the ancient Easter Proclamation, a rather longish piece that "humbles earthly pride," as those who have attempted it tell me. I've been practicing diligently for the past week and believe that, God willing, I will not butcher it so that anyone will notice.

I'm also singing "Panis Angelicus" during the reception of the Holy Eucharist, but compared to the Proclamation, it's a snap. Or so I keep telling myself. If you can spare an extra prayer, I would appreciate it.

Anyway, if you are Christian, don't fail to worship somewhere this weekend. If you are Jewish, Happy Passover.

And, I suppose, if you are a pagan, carry on.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home