Friday, January 09, 2009

Automotive Update

Automotive Update:

Went to the service department of the dealership to get the car, pay my "diagnostic fee" of about $80, and met with the mechanic. The "diagnosis" consisted of shining a flashlight at the innards of the engine to see that the compressor shaft bearings are distended (pushing away from their normal placement much as the caldera in Yellowstone is rising).

Gonna be a bad one, the mechanic told me. Gonna have to replace everything and look at all that crap that's gonna hafta be yanked outta the way first! And gonna have to flush the entire damn system cause metal filings have contaminated the whole shebang!

And the worst part is that he sees no way to remedy the way the car is running, which is just barely. Unfortunately, that's the part of his report that I actually believe.

I thanked him for his analysis and drove home where I did my own research. I can buy a brand new Motorcraft compressor, clutch, bearings and all, for $390. Called my favorite mechanic back "home" in Tulsa who told me he might be able to replace the clutch and bearings alone, but even if we redid the whole system it would be less than $1,000, including a small profit for himself.

I don't care if I have to push the car all the way to Tulsa. I'm not paying $1,541.09 to an outfit that charges me $80 for use of a flashlight.

Or am I just being cranky?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home