Saturday, September 26, 2009

A Day of Fasting & Prayer on Monday

Many of us are going to fast and pray on Monday, September 28, as a personal Day of Atonement. It also happens to be the traditional Jewish Day of Atonement.

This takes nothing away from the Jewish celebration. Remember, even the Ninevites, led by their king, heard the words of the prophet Jonah and repented in sackcloth and ashes. They were not Jewish, but they heard the Word of God and responded in a positive manner.

Contrition and conversion are always good things, even for those who consider themselves in pretty good shape, spiritually speaking. I think it is safe to say that in modern-day America there are a considerable number of us who could use quite a bit of contrition for our pride and arrogance, our personal neglect of the poor and suffering, our callousness to offenses against public decency and morals.

These are not the same sins for which our president seeks absolution from the world community. I could not care less about the opinion of the world community, but I do care about the opinion of the Almighty, and I do not mean the Obama.

Understand that I am not a big "fasting" guy. I believe in it because I believe that denial of the physical appetites can sharpen the spiritual senses, but I am so fond of eating -- and it shows -- that I have great difficulty in rousing my will to cover my pledge. So I typically fast only to the minimum required.

That must change, and starting Monday it will. I'm going to do bread and water.



Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home