Tuesday, December 09, 2008

It's still the same ol' Chicago

I frequently wax nostalgic over Chicago, mostly because of the movies I watch that feature the skyline, it's eclectic downtown, or the suburbs, though truth be told I've only been to the Windy City only a handful of times. For a couple of years I talked frequently on the phone with a rep for a music company and, through his reports, developed a fascination for its people and culture. And thanks to John Hughes, John Cusack and John Belushi, there will probably always be a soft spot in my heart -- or my head -- for the city.

But try as I may, I could never warm up to Chicago's Cubs or it's politicians.

So it is with an evil glint in my eye that I note the legal woes of Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich who today was arrested, as well as his chief of staff, for allegedly trying to peddle Barack Obama's vacated U.S. senate seat for personal gain. Secondarily he also was charged with attempting to use the powers of his office to silence his critics on the editorial board of the Chicago Tribune. Boo! Hiss!

Blagojevich, by the way, is a DEMOCRAT. (Most press reports seem fuzzy on this point.)

While it's true that every state has a certain amount of corruption - we are, after all, a fallen race, we humans - and Oklahoma certainly has its share, no one does corruption like Illinois and no city can hold a candle to Chicago.

May Patrick Fitzgerald's investigations be painstakingly thorough, time-consuming, and reach under every damp rock and attic nook, no matter how many other high- or low-placed officials are implicated in wrong-doing. Maybe the next four years won't be so forlorn after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home