Thursday, January 15, 2009

This is Post No. 1,000

This is Post No. 1,000 of Oklahomily, The Blog.

I began this project - I could easily call it a bad habit, or a time-waster - on October 5, 2004, with ambitiously high hopes, yet no clear sense of direction. Today I can truthfully say that I still have high hopes and perhaps just a touch more sense of direction than on that day.

Recently we added Anthony (the Oklapologist) to the roster of contributors. I've enjoyed his posts because they've expanded our outlook on things religious and it's been a catalyst for me to get "back in the game" as a contributor. I find that as I write and reflect more, I enjoy life outside of blogging more as well. It's a great focus mechanism for life in general. I expect great things from Anthony during the next 1,000 posts. And if Bryan can shake loose from his day job long enough, we will welcome him aboard.

As I look at that first post, I see that there was a statement of intent that included a focus on Oklahoma issues. I've done a little of that, but most of the posts are general in nature, rather than Oklahoma-centric. However, I believe that much of what has been written reflects an Oklahoma sensibility, a heartland attitude, and for that I am pleased.

I said that we'd write about things from a moral point of view. Check! And even more so these days.

I said we'd cast aspersions on public officials, left, right and center, but especially left. I'd like to amend that. They cast aspersions on themselves. Seriously, I believe that the time in which party labels are useful has passed. Our country is in the fix it is in because no longer can you trust that someone with a -D or an -R after their name represents a political philosophy, just a political (and too often personal) expediency. Democrats and Republicans have betrayed us. We badly need to revisit what it is that we believe and who we are as Americans. If we do not do this soon, we will not recognize the country we are re-creating. More on this in upcoming posts.

Finally, I said I'd waste an additional hour a day. Check! That was the easy part.

If I were so inclined, I'd put up a site meter and find out how many people actually visit our little piece of the blogosphere, and I may yet. I hope that our longtime viewers have discovered that we are back in the business. We'll try to refrain from future unplanned sabbaticals. My thanks to each of you for stopping by. I know there are places more entertaining, more insightful, with more cheesecake, more humor, and better written. Yet you drop by anyway!

God bless you.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 2:52 PM, Blogger Jimmie D. Martin said...

congratulations on your 1000..I have read a lot of them. thank you caring

 

Post a Comment

<< Home